Wednesday, July 29, 2009

a new favorite? maybe.

I just finished David Copperfield by Charles Dickens. It was absolutely fabulous! I think anybody who enjoys classic literature will love this book. For me, when I read a lot of books I have found that I mostly want to get to the end, to find out what the climax is, how it will happen, and then to know. I find that I race through these books for them just to be over. I just love endings I guess. With David Coppperfield though I found that I'd often set the book down in my lap just to think about it. I loved the whole world that he lived in. I loved all of the characters. I just can't say enough.
On a side note. I love names that mean something. I love family names, and scripture names, and names from my favorite characters in books. I have often told Brent that I'd love to have a "sweet sweet Melanie" (Gone with the Wind). Agnes is a new Melanie to me. I really wish I liked the name a little more because I love her role as the angel always pointing upwards.
Oh I also read another book before this one but I forgot to mention it and unfortunately forgot what it was called. I know that's bad. About a girl who falls in love with her imaginary friend. It was like a day read but I enjoyed it. Just no lasting impression.

6 comments:

Robyn said...

It is great to hear your review of David Copperfield. I read it a year ago and fell in love with it. I loved everything (and felt myself loving the name Agnes, too) and didn't want it to end. It's a beautiful book.

Lori said...

You've inspired me to give it another try...the last time I (nearly)read that book was when it was on the summer reading list for 9th grade English. Hopefully I've matured enough over the last decade and a half to appreciate it now.

Bonnie said...

I loved David Copperfield when I read it in high school and you have now inspired me to read it again. Also, I read that other book wasn't it something like sundays at Tiffany's or something. I felt the same way it was fine and easy to read but not something that really sticks with you!

Mandy said...

I think maybe I need to check that out. I need more intelligent books and less Twilight. :)

Grandma Jan said...

I do not want a granddaughter named Agnes. I might after reading David Copperfield, but I don't think so. I am glad Robyn gave this a great review too as I bought the book last night after you spoke so highly of it last weekend. I ordered the Cliffs notes too....but I won't need them if I have my daughters to help me. Time to relax!!!

Cheyenne said...

That really is a great book! I love classical literature...it's my favorite vein. I also love names with meaning. Have you thought of any meaningful names for Baby Barnes 2?